Batman: Next Generation is a graphic novel series taking place in Gotham City fifteen years after Bruce Wayne retired from his days as Batman, and takes in a new protege after new threats arise in Gotham City. It takes place in it's own timeline, independent from past DC storylines.
- Michael "Mike" Carr- A young Gotham police officer who was raised by a single mother before she was murdered, leaving him to raise his younger brother alone from the time that he was sixteen years old. He figures out that Bruce Wayne was Batman, and hopes to assist him in saving Gotham after new threats arise in the city. The character is loosely based on Robin John Blake from Chris Nolan's The Dark Knight Rises.
- Bruce Wayne- 61 year old billionaire philanthrapist, and former masked-vigilante, Batman. Has been retired from his crime fighting days for fifteen years, and currently lives alone in Wayne Manor with his dog, Ace.
- Richard "Dick" Grayson- Bruce's former sidekick, and the first to don the "Robin" alias before becoming Nightwing. His friendship with Bruce has grown to be strained over the last fifteen years, for reasons that are a mystery as of the beginning of the series. Retired from crime fighting around the same time as Bruce, and currently works as a writer.
- Alexandra "Allie" St. Cloud- the daughter of Bruce Wayne and Silver St. Cloud, though she is unaware that Bruce is her father. She is the head of the FBI's Gotham branch, and inheirited her father's sense of justice, which she attributes to her mother's murder when she was only two years old.
- Barbara Gordon- the daughter of the late Jim Gordon, and formerly the crime fighter "Batgirl". Her crime fighting days ended when she was shot in the spine by the Joker, and is currently the head of the Wayne Foundation. She is arguably the only true confidant remaining in Bruce's life.
- Damian Wayne- Bruce's estranged son, concieved with Talia Al Ghul. He ran away from Gotham eight years prior to the beginning of the series, and has periodically written to his father, but Bruce has never been able to track down his location.
- Adrian Thorne- The nephew of the deceased Gotham mobster, Rupert Thorne, who has brought back organized crime in Gotham after nearly two decades of no organized crime.
- Travis Keller- The corrupt police commissioner, who is correctly suspected of corruption by Mike Carr.